Knife switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » Knife switch « Previous Next »

Douglas Tappan (Dougthebonifiedbusnut)
Registered Member
Username: Dougthebonifiedbusnut

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 98.216.56.188

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 10:01 am:   

Hey All, I am installing a converter and want the ability to manualy switch from the converter while at shore power to battery power while underway and I want to use a simple 4pole double throw manual knife switch (kiss).I would like 30 amp minimum @12vdc but would like something a little beafier. what can someone suggest as to where to get one.
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 396
Posted From: 67.141.71.22

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 11:14 am:   

Why?
Depending on what brand of converter, it will automatically switch from converting to a pass through 12V.
There is no need to switch it.
Douglas Tappan (Dougthebonifiedbusnut)
Registered Member
Username: Dougthebonifiedbusnut

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 98.216.56.188

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 2:16 pm:   

Cause I want to take my start batts out of the loop while on shore power so as not to cook them. Am I missing something?
Bill 340 (Bill_340)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_340

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 75.224.15.69

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 5:02 pm:   

you can run 3 single receptacles under a cabinet, then plug your breaker box in to which ever you want to use, I do and its fail proof, 2nd bus that way,
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 1261
Posted From: 173.202.4.145

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 6:26 pm:   

Doug,

If your new converter has a 3 or 4 stage charger your batteries will not cook.

If it is an old one like mine see the next paragraph.

I just installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4645 45 Amp Converter Upgrade Section in my ancient Magnetek 6300A Model 6345 converter. The upgrade has a 4-stage charger that will not overcharge batteries.

The original Magnetek converter charger would boil off the batteries so I had stopped using it.

Now when I'm on the road I don't have to do anything, it is all automatic. I do, however, have a switch that separates the start and house batteries.

Every bus should have this battery isolation setup regardless of converter/inverter type for both safety and maintenance purposes.

I also have a separate battery disconnect switch on each battery for the same purposes.
Brian Evans (Bevans6)
Registered Member
Username: Bevans6

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 65.92.54.2

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:24 am:   

Are you switching the DC connection that powers the inverter, or the AC output? If the DC connection, I used a Marine type battery switch rated at 300 amps, http://www.bellrpg.net/bluewater/MA/group.asp?MAJ=011&PRI=010&SEC=058

Brian
Jim Sanders (Sandy)
Registered Member
Username: Sandy

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.199.96.250

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:30 am:   

hey guys My holiday rambler RV came equeptd with an isolator(cmp world) This isolates the house bat from your chg sys. but lets your alt. Chg both while driving.But it dont isolate your house bat chg. while driving???????????? Dal you have allmost got me into converters. Which one??????
Jim Sanders (Sandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:43 am:   

Hey guys From every thing i hear a 3 or 4 stage charger(house) WILL NOT boil your batteries dry???? Dal i have a lot of questions concerning Converters hook up NO WAY can you have the Gen runnihg and c0nverter on at the same time???????
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 397

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 12:14 pm:   

Jim,
A converter changes from 120V AC to 12VDC, mine (WFCO 9845's), have 4 stage charge capabilities, and operate when on any AC power except for the inverter.
I haven't had to add water to either my house or start batteries for 2 years as of February 26th.
The bus hasn't been plugged in since before you came over, but I'm certain the batteries are still up and able to power up the systems with no problem.

Using a battery isolator can cause problems by itself, since it will have a significant voltage drop between one set of batteries and the other. This will cause one set to over charge or one set to under charge.... always.

Each of us does it our own way, and mine may not be the best, but it works for me. My last set of batteries lasted 9 years and this set of batteries has lasted 4 years. I hope to get 5 more years out of them.
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member

Post Number: 1262
Posted From: 173.202.3.82

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 2:29 pm:   

Jim,

Why not??
Jim Sanders (Sandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 40

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   

Gus the sine wave would conflict!!!???? how could you sincornize(spelling) the two????
Jim Sanders (Sandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:05 pm:   

Dal BATT CHG on my rambler is tied in to the DC leads in front of dist. pannel. There are 3 p0les on the isolater. the cabel from alt(eng)is tied to center one. The house batt.tied to one end. the eng batt to the opposite. Alt feeds the center pole.DC current goes through DIODS to feed the batt with least Resistant
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 403

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:05 pm:   

Jim, you are speaking of apples and Kiwi fruit.
Again, a CONVERTER changes from AC to DC. An INVERTER changes from DC to AC.
DC has no 'sinewave'. So it doesn't matter what the power source for it is, as long as it's not the same power source that's supplying the charge function for the batteries.
Like in..
You can't in no way, no how, no way, not even with your Florida Second Cousins sister, charge the battery from an inverter that's connected to the same battery that your trying to charge. It just ain't gonna happen.
You CAN charge your house batteries that are not connected to the source in any other way, (kinda).
Come down here for the rally and we'll show you more than you ever wanted to know.

Hooah!
Jim Sanders (Sandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 42

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:37 pm:   

Dal I hear that there are isolaters on the mkt. that uses Relays?? Never saw one no experance with them. Priced one listed in my manuels. 300$ 80 amp capacety only. There is allwase a voltage drop accrose any Diode. Hope youse guys will forgive my spelling JIM
Jim Sanders (Sandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 43

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:57 pm:   

Dal Excuse me in useing the term CONVERTER and thinking INVERTER..AS you can see i am not used to the terms Ro me a battery charger is a battery charger is ETC ETC ETC... INVERTERS I have never seen the use for.. in very rare cases it might be handy to use one and not start your gen. But this is unlikely???
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member

Post Number: 1264
Posted From: 173.202.47.207

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 6:59 pm:   

OK, So, can I keep my converter hooked up to the generator AC output while driving or should I shut off the AC power to the converter??

I usually run the genset underway to run the air conditioners.

I can see how the converter battery charger could conflict with the engine alternator when the two are trying to charge the same batteries at the same time.

I can connect my house batt with the start batt or not with a switch and solenoid.

My converter manual says nothing at all about this situation so I just assumed it automatically compensates for it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration