Natural gas to propane Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » Natural gas to propane « Previous Next »

les marston (Les_marston)
Registered Member
Username: Les_marston

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 68.151.225.213

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 4:00 pm:   

We bought a 20 inch gas range for the coach (not installed yet)
It was to come set up for propane but was still rigged for natural gas.
I had no problems resetting the regulator and the venturies for the burners for propane but when I tried to adjust the nozzle for propane on the stove I can't turn it the way the instructions indicate. The instructions say to tighten the scud 2&1/2 turns. It feels very tight to turn and that if I forced it I would break it off
We bought this unit from the states and had it shipped here, the company that we bought it from told me to hire a plumber????
Our local gas company doesn't convert appliances to propane.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to adjust the stove for propane?

this is a 20 inch Danby range
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 67.141.71.22

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 4:53 pm:   

Silly question here,....
Does it have it's own regulator?

We bought a nice 6 burner range top that was advertised to be used for both LP and propane. We found out that it had a small regulator which defeated the propane regulator.
Look inline for anything that isn't a line from where you hooked it up to where your gas line plumbs in to the valves for the burners.

This may not help, but it did with us.

Also you may want to check for stray penguin grease or used dachshund covers... you know, those covers that come from the nickel machine in the men's room at cheap bars?
Registered Member

Post Number: 287

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:14 pm:   

Dal
It has a built in regulator but also requires a 15 inch regulator on the propane supply This internal regulator is adjustable for both natural gas and for LP.
The instructions indicate an adjustment of the scud or the ventury that the Lp goes thru just before entering the burner itself.
This scud appears to be threaded into the body of the gas supply but is so tight that I fear sheering it off if I try to hard. I also tried to loosen it with the same result. I am starting to think that it was maybe cross threaded at the factory.
One possible solution that I have thought of is to plug the existing hole and re drill it out to the correct size for propane but I don't want to do that except as a last resort
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 406
Posted From: 67.141.71.22

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 6:10 pm:   

Les, I'm not certain what you mean by a 15 inch regulator.
Gas pressure is is measured by psi, or if your from the hinterlands of Canada, it would be the 'Pascal'.
Then there are those from Newfoundland that measure with a cup and saucer.

On cross threading, could it be that you have a metric fitting or thread as opposed to a SAE fitting and thread?
Larry D Baker (Lbaker4106)
Registered Member
Username: Lbaker4106

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 174.42.151.245

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 6:33 pm:   

Gas pressure at the burner is messured in inches of water column and 15 is the max at the regulator for natural. LP pressure at the burner should be 11 inches. Natural gas pressure at the burner is 3.5 inches. Not sure what you mean by the scud. Usually the gas valve has an internal regulator spring that must be tightened to increase the pressure at the burner. That spring is covered by a screw cover.
Registered Member

Post Number: 290

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 6:36 pm:   

Sorry Dal I ment 15 lb. regulator.
I got ahold of a guy who was the Danby service rep and he gave me a few things to try so that will be my next step.
No not Pascal... kilo pascals... Damn metric.
They likely used some form of loc tight on the threads so a bit of heat should help to make the adjustment possible
George M. Todd (George_todd)
Registered Member
Username: George_todd

Post Number: 1186
Posted From: 99.29.78.69

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 8:39 pm:   

I don't know exactly how to say this, but when it comes to Propane or Electricity, one should resist the temptation to post unless well-qualified!

Fuel gas delivered to houses or RVs is regulated to 7 inches of water column for Natural Gas (Methane) or 11 inches of water column for LPG (Propane.) The individual appliance may have its own regulator to adjust the pressure to its own requirements. This is why the statement above about 3.5 in WC of MANIFOLD pressure.

In a dual reguator propane system, the regulator at the tank lowers the pressure to 10-15 PSI, which then sends it to the second regulator, usually at the edge of the house, which drops the pressure to 11 inches. This is done to avoid the requirement to run large pipe to avoid pressure drop.

As information and explanation, ONE PSI equals just over 28 Inches of Water Column. Manifold pressure is very critical.
G
Registered Member

Post Number: 1187

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   

Les,

The company should have told you to hire a Heating & Air Conditioning Contractor.

All residential furnaces come set up for Natural Gas, and must be converted to Propane by the installing contractor. All of the HVAC contractors that work in the country convert furnaces on a daily, or at least weekly basis, have a manometer, (which reads Inches of Water Column) and are well qualified to convert other appliances as well. I have converted as many stoves and driers as I have furnaces over the last 25 years. I am surprised that your local propane company doesn't do this.
G
Rob King (Skykingrob)
Registered Member
Username: Skykingrob

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 69.29.89.163

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   

Les
In our neck of the woods, the process you are asking about is also done by the propane supply company. Just another lead you may want to check out.
I have had several things converted by these people and it was an easy, quick inexpensive process.

HTH

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1261
Posted From: 69.69.20.25

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 10:23 pm:   

Les!!! Please if you have any doubt about LP or Natural Gas DON"T GUESS!! We may have to send get well cards or sympathy cards to the family.. As noted by George, 7/11 is the settings for starters,Then you adjust according to specs. Using a manometer is the only to set it without having too much problem. I had a regulator malfunction on Natural gas and was reading about 15-17 wc and was on a 1.2 million BTU boiler. When we fired it up to see what was wrong with it, we all ran and shut the main power switch off. The boiler was toasted and we had to rebuild the entire framing and even the fire bricks had disenagrated. In other words PLAY IT SAVE AND CALL!!

We bought this unit from the states and had it shipped here, the company that we bought it from told me to hire a plumber????
Good Luck
George is on the exact track too along with others.

Gomer
Registered Member

Post Number: 292

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:25 pm:   

Ya I kind of came to the same conclusion however Danby did include the conversion kit and instructions on how to convert to LP. It really seemed straight forward.
Apparently the spud is the exact size for natural gas and when it is screwed in it is restricted by a needle valve to the proper size for LP. The only problem is that the spud wouldn't turn without extreme pressure due to lock tight on the threads.
The fellow who is helping me out with this has 30 years experience and was a certified Danby warranty and repair facility.
I will also have the instal well inspected before using it.
It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of knowledge on this board.
Les
Registered Member

Post Number: 1188

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:37 pm:   

Gomer,

Thanks for the support! I don't have Les's address to send condolences either!!!

About 2 months ago, the gas company shut off the gas to a local machine shop for lack of payment. The owner tried to bypass the block, but not being qualified, he bypassed the meter AND the regulator. He was killed instantly when the resulting explosion blew him into a building across the street. A second person was killed while looking into the building for injured people and the roof collapsed on him.

Les, that probably wouldn't happen here, about all that would happen would be melted pots and burners, but do us a favor and look harder for a qualified propane supplier or a heating contractor.
Good luck,
G

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration