-- 5000 miles off topic or 8000 depen... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » -- 5000 miles off topic or 8000 depending on where you are located... « Previous Next »

Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 628
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 1:11 pm:   

I thought a different perspective on life might be interesting for some here.

- With all that is.....
and isn't
going on in Japan.
this morning I received an Email from THE Southern most Continent.

The Gal writing it has been a Program Scientist "on The Ice" since 1977....she holds a USA record for being THE person who has spent more time in Antarctica than anyone else....she knows her stuff!

I thought I might share a paragraph of her missive with you all,
it relates to the Earthquake & tsunami in Japan, as follows:

I guess it is the opportunity to be surrounded by Antarctica first hand is what draws me to camp out when I can (aka when the weather is calm!). Another much unexpected experience has been witnessing effects of the Japan earthquake on Hero Inlet – just below my campsite. Palmer’s tide gauge continues to be erratic as tsunami effects still oscillate throughout the world oceans. Two nights after that massively destructive quake, I was sleeping peacefully alongside the Inlet and was awoken suddenly by the sound of rushing water. Looking down on this narrow, short inlet ending at the glacier a short distance away, it was like a plug had been pulled up at the mouth as all the water and large pieces of ice were being sucked up and out of the inlet. Crazy dervishing whirlpools and eddies formed ripping up the red and brown algae that carpet the bottom. It was chaos! Then it was quiet as the waters settled and calmed, the tsunami aftershock dissipated. This startling event jarred the quiet a few more times throughout my slumber in the safety and comfort of my warm sleeping bag. I could not image experiencing the full fury of that devastating catastrophe which continues through aftershocks.

The Tsumnami traveled all the way to the Drake Passage South of Terra del Feugo & into the protected (by Mountains & Fjords) waters of Antarctica.
Palmer Station, where she is located, is in a relative backwater area of the Ant. Penninsula on Anvers Island.

If she experienced tidal changes,
then it is assured that the wave also passed thru the Drake Passage & on into the Atlantic (which may be a first in recent history).
It is a BIG wide wonderful world we live in
until something BIG happens
then suddenly it seems so much smaller....eh?

(taking the Express Wave to South Africa for the Winter)
Cable (Fe2_o3)
Registered Member
Username: Fe2_o3

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 50.46.185.136

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 4:24 pm:   

Thanks Jack...This kind of gives us a new perspective on the strength of the quake and resulting aquatic disruption world wide...Cable
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 6:38 pm:   

FWIW.& ICYI

IF you go to this site:

http://unchartedatolls.com/2011/03/11/tsunami-in-the-pacific/

about half way down the page there is an Animation of the Tsunami wave propagation.
It clearly shows the wave passing thru the entire Pacific
& then thru the Cape Horn & Drake Passage areas
& then onward into the Atlantic....

(Message edited by Jack_fids on March 17, 2011)
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 98.20.54.82

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 8:07 pm:   

My sister and BiL live at Ocean Shores, Wa. 1/2 mile from the ocean and 1.5' above sea level.
We called her the day of the Tsunami and she said they had been having sirens all night.

When the wave actually hit, it came up on the beach about 4' farther than the highest high tide mark.

They were very, very lucky.

One thing I am happy to see with the Japanese people... they have more self reliance than the normal run of the mill American.

The first thing the American does is to holler to the government to fix everything that goes wrong in a natural disaster... even the ones that build houses on cliff-sides in California. Some how I always want to ask them how they figured it got to be a cliff.

The Japanese however, have a history of pulling up their sleeves and diving in to the work of restoring their homes and infrastructure.
Just wait... in 5 years, this will all be a sad memory, and Japan will be as strong or stronger than ever.

We could all take a lesson in self sufficiency from that culture.
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 2054
Posted From: 174.89.176.168

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 9:26 pm:   

Thanks Jack!

Science is much better than shrieking newscasters...

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Teresa (Happycamperbrat)
Registered Member
Username: Happycamperbrat

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 173.25.102.41

Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 2:33 am:   

Thank you Jack! This is just devasting. Dallas I do hope you are right about the Japanese people.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration