4107 conversion Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » April 2011 » 4107 conversion « Previous Next »

Ray Jones (Blubuf66)
Registered Member
Username: Blubuf66

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 24.127.33.50

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 7:04 pm:   

I,m starting a conversion on my 4107 from scratch and I,m looking for opinions on where you would start first. On the decking, as I have some rotted out under the drivers seat and co-pilots area? Or on the electrical, plumbing or elsewhere? By the way, I am looking for real opinions, BUT, I do enjoy the banter between these guys. Sometimes I just sit at the computer and just laugh at some of the baloney. But if I were on the road, I can't imagine wanting to be along with a greater bunch of guys than these, who can help me get out of a jam and keep me laughing at the same time! Ray
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 75.91.197.59

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   

Ray, I think I would find out exactly what caused the floor rot in the first place. Open Windows or bad window seals, leaking marker lights, holes in the side from rust up under the siding?

There's no use replacing it once and then having to go back and do it again a few years later.
les marston (Les_marston)
Registered Member
Username: Les_marston

Post Number: 298
Posted From: 68.151.225.213

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 8:50 pm:   

Ray
I think it is best to deal with any structural problems then suspension and mechanical problems This way you will know that you are starting with a shell that is worth putting all the time and money into for conversion.
Dal is (surprise) correct, you have to find out the cause of the rust (other than it is a GM) and make sure it isn't going to happen again
As far as where to start on the conversion? PLAN,PLAN, PLAN
Do a detailed drawing to scale, show all power, plumbing,etc
Pin it up to a board where you can see it.... then start all over again until you have a plan that you want to build.
Raise roof? fill in windows? Extra insulation? etc.
Then toss out everyone else's suggestions and do it your own way...... BUT... Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Good luck and have fun
Les
George M. Todd (George_todd)
Registered Member
Username: George_todd

Post Number: 1203
Posted From: 99.146.10.201

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 10:07 pm:   

Ray,

Dal and Les are right, I would check out why the floor rotted first, then fix it and its cause.
As they say, plan, plan, plan, then start in the rear with the bedroom first. That way you aren't walking thru finished rooms with construction material, AND you can drive it somewhere and enjoy it with a finished bed, a card table, a porta potty and an ice chest.
Good luck,
G
Ray Jones (Blubuf66)
Registered Member

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 10:59 pm:   

Dallas, Thats good info. The major culprit is the vista window, which I plan to metal over (18ga steel). Someone had filled it in with plexiglass, which has warped. Thanks again for the info. Ray
Teresa (Happycamperbrat)
Registered Member
Username: Happycamperbrat

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 173.25.102.41

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 5:15 am:   

Structual, suspension and mechanical first like the guys say. Get it safe and sound. Then do the bathroom first imo...... of course that means plumbing and electric and choice of water heating.... lol it is crazy! My family is strong arming me into the bathroom first though. They are good with sleeping bags, cots, ice chests, coleman stoves, etc. But the toilet has got them in an uproar!
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 1483
Posted From: 66.82.162.16

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 6:56 am:   

The basic interior layout of most conversions is similar .

The differences are all in storage, function and finish level.

Block out the areas as you desire and install the plumbing first.

If you have a galley and toilet , a house bed , couches , seats and bureaus will get you on the road.

You can always install the mirrored overhead and twinky lights later!

FF
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 661

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 1:18 am:   

I think the general rule is to ask questions here,
spend too much money along the way
and emerge wiser
on the backside....
it's worked for everybody else!
just place safety above all & have a ball
with your fresh clean palette.
Build it to suit yourself
and not to impress people you don't know
& be sure to always ask for your other half's input.
Ray Jones (Blubuf66)
Registered Member

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 8:16 pm:   

Thanks to each of you (Dallas, Les, George, Teresa, Fast Fred, and Jack) And as usual you guys nailed it pretty much! And Jack , after seeing what you have done with mostly recycled materials, any advice you would share will be cherished, regardless of what Fooey might say. Thats why this board is the best that I monitor. Thanks all! Ray
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 662

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 2:49 pm:   

George Martinez (Foohorse)
Registered Member
Username: Foohorse

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 69.171.161.66

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 1:34 am:   

here is a picture of one failed attempt by me with a 4107 Ray. buy the way thank you for the kind words and your input regarding the variety not the rigidity you find enjoyable on this board.
George Martinez (Foohorse)
Registered Member
Username: Foohorse

Post Number: 471
Posted From: 69.171.161.66

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 1:41 am:   

PS what did I say about recycled materials? if it was a negative then it wasn't me, more likely my evil twin. or jack hacking into my mac again.
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 1307
Posted From: 173.202.23.149

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 7:42 pm:   

Ray,

I agree with the other guys about starting with the body integrity. If it is no good nothing else is either.

When restoring an auto or truck I always start with the running gear, but a bus is a whole lot different animal.

If your plexiglas top window warped it is probably too large. Plexiglas moves a lot with temp and can't be installed tightly like glass. All you probably need to do is trim the edges a bit and it will work fine. Wish my 4107 still had that window.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration