Disconnected Sensor on engine Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » Disconnected Sensor on engine « Previous Next »

Jim Wilkerson (Wagwar)
Registered Member
Username: Wagwar

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 69.152.168.208

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 3:25 pm:   

I have an '81 MC 9 w/ DD 6V92T. Standing behind the bus looking at the engine, there are two identical looking sensors threaded into the back of the passenger side head. They look like short spark plugs with threaded post on the top. I guess them to be water temp sensors or something similar. However, the outer most sensor is disconnected while the inner most sensor is connected. There is a spare wire and connector cable tied to the head.

I do not find a wiring diagram for the engine in my MC 9 manual.

My question, what is the extra sensor for? I'd like to understand what it's for so to determine if I should undertake to reconnect it. The other side (driver) has only one sensor on the back of the head.

Thanks in advance
Van (Van)
Registered Member
Username: Van

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 68.108.81.25

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   

Our 692 has 2 water temp senders, 1 for the gauge on dash, the other for an engine bay temp gauge and the 3rd conection for the Alarm-stat.
Jim Wilkerson (Wagwar)
Registered Member

Post Number: 150

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 6:15 pm:   

That makes sense as I see 3 sensors. Do you have any idea which is which? Or is it just a matter of tracing the wires?
George M. Todd (George_todd)
Registered Member
Username: George_todd

Post Number: 1207
Posted From: 99.146.10.201

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 7:21 pm:   

Jim,
A question which might help with an answer,
does your temperature gauge work properly now?
Secondly, has the engine ever gotten hot enough to cause an alarm?
I think the gauge may average both head temps to protect against one stuck thermostat, but mine has one sensor for the gauge, and another which is actually just a switch to sound the hot engine alarm.
G
Derrick Thomas (Thomasinnv)
Registered Member
Username: Thomasinnv

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 67.142.130.37

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 8:10 pm:   

my guess is that if the gauge is working then someone has disconnected the alarm-stat. they can fail and shut you down below operating temp. had one do that to me.
Jim Wilkerson (Wagwar)
Registered Member

Post Number: 151

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 12:50 pm:   

Hi,

The temp guage seems to work fine. I have never seen the engine temp even as high as 200 in the middle of summer running 70 mph across kansas on a 95+ degree day. I haven't ever heard any alarms for hot engine conditions. So I don't know if I have an alarm for overheat. There is certainly a tell-tale, but I have never seen that light up either.

The temp guage may be averaging the temps of both heads, but how would I confirm this? How best to test the disconnected sensor to determine its function and health?

Thank You!
Derrick Thomas (Thomasinnv)
Registered Member
Username: Thomasinnv

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 67.142.130.22

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 11:23 am:   

How best to test the disconnected sensor to determine its function and health?

Hook it up and see what it does, seriously. that's how i found a bad alarm stat on my 8v71. the wire was disconnected so i hooked it up and when it got to around 140 deg the alarm sounded and shut down the engine. I ordered another stat from Caylor Supply and all works as it should now. If yours is the alarm stat that is disconnected I would make it a point to get it working right. may save you an engine some day.

BTW, on my 8v there is 1 alarm stat on the left bank and one on the right bank. there is an electronic temp sensor and a mechanical temp sensor on the right bank as well. the only temp sensors for the gauge are on the right side, no averaging between sides.

(Message edited by thomasinnv on March 28, 2011)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration