Personal opinions? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2004 » February 2004 » Personal opinions? « Previous Next »

Ed Jewett (Kristinsgrandpa) (67.29.208.23)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   

What size is everyones monitor for their back-up cameras? And if you could change the size, what would you prefer?
I saw a 11.1 inch(?) color set with 120 AC or 12 DC power option the other day in a clearance catalog and was thinking that it might be OK.
I have 2, 13 inch color monitors and think they might be a little on the large side, but they are already here.

2 six or eight inch, setting beside each other, with one for the camera on the curb side mirror, like Jack Conrads, and one aimed at the toad, would probably be ideal.

Maybe Gary Stadler knows of a screen splitter for a monitor.

Also does anyone have track lighting, and how do you like it? Does it present any problems?
I can see a lot of advantages.
Thanks in advance for the replys.
Ed.
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.90)

Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 10:57 pm:   

I have a 7" B&W monitor with a switch to change from one camera to the other. I had a 5.5 and it was too small. The 7" is fine.
James Maxwell (Jmaxwell) (66.81.32.84)

Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 11:27 pm:   

I have a 7.5 color lcd with dual inputs, but for now only use 1 input ( I use the other input to watch Speed TV while driving, haha). Mine is mounted an a rear view mirror position between the windshiels. The one in my Grumman is a 5.5 B&W. No problem w/ the black and white, but the 5.5 is getting harder to see each day. It is mounted directly overhead at top of windshield.
gary Stadler (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 2:10 am:   

Hi Ed,
Lets see... I have a 13" monitor (at least I think it's 13... havnt measured it for a while) for my backup camera and I'd totally recommend it. Especially nice for big easy to see GPS directions when I'm also attempting to drive in a forward direction :) (I use copliot 2003 and think it's amazing!)
You've all probably heard it before, but I also use it for watching DVD's when I'm not driving forward, backward, or using the GPS. It's great!

This is somewhat in the wrong place for the board, but oh well... here is an EBAY item number that answers your screen splitting idea nicely.
It may only run on 120vac (many of these things can be modified internally to operate on 12 volts butcha have to know some electronics to do it).
It's a little pricey, but heck, we all have bucks to burn on our little toys, yeah?

Cheers
gary
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (67.136.87.31)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 4:07 am:   

I already have a Clarion system and the monitor is a 4.5" viewable screen, but as I will be installing it in a very similar postion to a rear view mirror, and in the Freightliner that is pretty close to me, so I think it will be fine.

If I was installing one in a class A motorhome or inserting it in a dash, I think I would use around a 7" unit.

Second thoughts, maybe I will go and play with it tomorrow and see if it wiil work..... LOL.

James Maxwell, where did you get your camera and monitor from, price?

Peter.
BrianMCI96A3 (69.34.169.42)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 10:08 am:   

I have a 7 inch LCD color monitor with a switchable image, allowing it to be mounted upside down.

It is also able to process input from two cameras via selected image or split screen.

Brian
Sean Welsh (Sean) (64.81.73.194)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 1:41 pm:   

Ed,

Just a word of caution on using your existing monitors: Unless your rear camera supplies a reversed image, you will need to flip the yoke leads on your monitor to achieve the same effect. That pretty much rules out using the monitor for other signals, unless you install a switch.

To answer your original question, I've got a 7.5" 16:9 ratio color LCD with dual inputs. It has a 12v input lead that hooks to the backup light signal, which tells it to automatically select one of the two inputs and reverse the image. I chose this size because it fit nicely in an existing opening in my dash, but it is also a good size at that viewing distance.

Peter: since you asked about Jim's -- I paid $425 for this setup on eBay. That included the LCD monitor, 40' of video cable (the guy threw in a 15' extension for this when I asked about it) and a weather-resistant color camera with IR low-light capability and infrared illuminators (LEDs). The camera also has a switch on it to select normal or reversed image, in case one wanted to use it on the non-reversing input to the monitor. The whole setup is 12volt.

-Sean
James Maxwell (Jmaxwell) (66.81.211.1)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 1:56 pm:   

Peter: I bought the components on E-bay. From Brian's description, I have a similar monitor to his; mine is listed as 7.5, with the same features as his, and speakers. The monitor resolution is 620-400. Price was 125 w/shipping. Camera I bought from a seller in Hong Kong. Resolution 580-420, color, machined aluminum, waterproof, 19 LED's, color down to 2 lux, b&w down to .1 lux, sound pick-up. Price: 19.99, shipping $25!!!!! The 60' cable I got in a Harbor Freight package for 19.99 on internet sale price. Just so happened the cable was what I needed w/ the correct ends on it for the monitor and camera I had. The camera in the kit was a little plastic piece of sh**. Together, the system works very well. Eventually I will get another camera and use it for right side view.
Johnny (63.159.213.1)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 3:01 pm:   

Hmm, I feel left out, since I don't have (and wasn't planning) a back-up camera.
James Maxwell (Jmaxwell) (66.81.211.1)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 3:20 pm:   

Johnny: Don't feel left out; not an essential, more of a convenience item. They do help keep an eye on the towed (flats, smoke, forgetting to put it in neutral, and a view when backing; probably the best enhancement that it adds) But, properly focused for straight ahead use, they do not pick up that in-close low overhanging objects while backing unless you motorize the camera, which I have seen. That is a very nice feature.
Bill 340 (166.145.110.1)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 7:36 pm:   

My backup camera, came from the Rite aid drugstore chain. it is for indoors but Jack conrad and I have the same one, comes with 2 cameras and 1 5in monitor, for 79.00 also with 2 50 ft cables. I mounted it in a water proof box on the rear , sinilar to jACKS, WORKS GREAT, AND CHEAP, Good luck Bill 340
BrianMCI96A3 (69.68.96.122)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   

Jmax, I am envious, I think I paid four hundred some odd dollars for my setup, though I got an extra camera... I think you get the prize for getting the most for the least, by far!

I'm thinking of buying a motorized spotlight, removing the light and mounting the camera instead, but it will probably have to be a high dollar unit if it is going to be stable down the road.

Brian
Bill Buter (65.58.7.33)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:57 pm:   

Johnny: You and me both. No camera here either.
Maybe someday.
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (67.136.82.95)

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:52 am:   

Sean & James,

Thanks for your info.

I went out into the workshop this afternoon and my 4.5" will hang perfectly in what would normally be the position for an interior mirror and be close enough to give a good picture.

I have a huge blank space in the dash and may be able to sink it in there if there is enough space behind.

So I will try what I have as it is a Clarion system and as such was a quality unit in its day.

Btw, I thought exactly the same thing as Brian mentioned, in fact there have been some white moulded remote control units quite cheap which might work.

If anyone has any idea where I can buy a new base for my remote roof light, it is badly cracked, please let me know, thanks.

Peter.
bulldogie (69.4.195.248)

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 8:51 am:   

Does anybody know of a system that does all 3, backup camera, side camera, and GPS directions? Since I am just starting my bus project (and would like to have all the toys) I would like to do all my cable work first before I have it spray foamed. By the way where is a good place to mount the side camera so it doesn't show or get stolen?
dougd470 (65.161.188.11)

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 8:57 am:   

As an alternative (Of course, everyone does this "their way" - that's why it is fun!) - I am using standard color video cameras and converting the video to USB inputs at the computer. I will use software to switch between inputs.

For the rear view - I am using a mirror in the mounting box with the camera pointing up toward the mirror and the mirror doing the aiming to stay below the horizon. This keeps it simple and I am less limited in other applications. My laptop will be used for video and navigation. I can use a small window to keep an eye on things and tap a button to go full screen if necessary. I built the box - it was easy. I can also replace the glass in the window if it becomes fogged, adn there is a little heater in there in case moisture builds (peltier junction module) and I can cool it too!

(See what happens when you have too much time on your hands int he winter)

Adding IR lighting or a higher resolution camera is easier to do since I have no mods to the camera.

Doug
St Louis MC9
BrianMCI96A3 (65.40.153.194)

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 8:39 pm:   

Peter, where did you find those inexpensive remote control light units?

Brian
madbrit (67.136.121.168)

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 12:56 am:   

I thought it was at Harbor Freight, but they are not in the online catalog. It was a white plastic unit with a rectangular lens, I thought they were about $20-30 with a corded remote.

Peter.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration