Help with my webasto ! ! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2004 » July 2004 » Help with my webasto ! ! « Previous Next »

sCOOL busnut (66.43.13.75)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:19 am:   

My bus has a webasto heater that I don't know anything about! The man that sold me the bus was selling it for a friend - he didn't know anything about it either!

So far I have not ran it. It has dash controls that has a clock/timer plus other stuff.

Today I tried to fire it up. All I heard was a 'whirring' sound, but no heat. I checked the exhaust - no warmth there either.

The fuel line goes into the top of my fuel tank - presumably down to the bottom with a tube inside?

Anyway I thought that possibly the tank was too empty for the fuel to be 'picked up' by the tube. So I removed the fuel line and ran it into a jar of deisel. Then tried to fire it again - to no avail.

I pulled the fuel line up out of the deisel and found that there was NO suction from the tube. The heater can't be getting fuel.

Does anybody know if these type of heaters have an internal fuel pump? Or are they gravity fed?

Any help that you may offer will be kindly appreciated!!

Mark
75 gillig 636D
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.8)

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 7:28 am:   

It has an integral fuel pump. I've had mine do exactly what yours is doing several times, only once was it from running out of fuel, the rest of the time it was a fuse. What you should do is check fuses-- there are a few regular automotive fuses, and a couple of overheat fuses. The overheat fuse that screws into the top of the burner will burn out on you if you have air in the lines and have coolant flow problems. Do a Google search and see if you can download the Scholastic Series Webasto manual. There is a plug in diagnostic tool for your heater but an ohm meter will work to check the special overheat fuses.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Bus Jock (4.41.168.240)

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:38 am:   

Mark,

Contact Dick Wright and get the manual. It has the electrical diagram. If you need to know whats inside the "brain box", I have a partial diagram.

A couple of things,

1. If the flame sensor is dirty, it will light off and shut right down again.. It needs cleaning about once a year.

2. The pump is self priming under most conditions, but is the tank probe covered with fuel? Some people set it up to uncover at 1/3 tank full etc.

3. As Geoff mentioned, some models have fusible links for the overheat, (later models have self reseting thermo switches) Easy to check with ohm meter once you have the diagram.

4. Do you smell fuel, If fuel is present then the spark igniter system may be goofed up. Check the electrodes etc.

5. There is quite a bit of fuel returned from the pressure relief, so there should be fuel flowing in the return line, open it and check it into a tin can etc.

Hope this is useful

Jock Fugitt
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (67.216.122.243)

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 8:51 am:   

Here's a link to webasto tech info
http://www.techwebasto.com/RV.asp
joe shelton (67.242.199.211)

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 9:43 am:   

I've worked on mine more than I wish. When you turn it on you should hear the blower motor whirling and in about 5-10 seconds, the snapping of the spark igniter. I think the Webasto coolant pump also turns on but yours may or may not have a coolant pump. Mine has a fuel filter and the last time it wouldn't fire up, I dropped the filter and found it dry. If your's has a filter, replace it and fill up the new one and see if it will start. If you don't hear the igniter then it isn't a fuel problem but may be one of the fuses. The other thing that went on mine was the blower motor. Its a great unit. . . when it works
Buswarrior (Buswarrior) (64.229.209.115)

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 6:54 pm:   

Webasto is a great thing, when it has been kept up.

Many of us get used ones, which have not had the expensive replacement parts put into them.

One thing that often gets ignored is the bearing set in the burner blower. A good Webasto does not announce its presence with any more than a gentle hum and some air movement noise from the burner exhaust.

Everything is rebuildable, and once you bring it up to snuff, you'll like it!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration