Porcupine Mtns in the U.P. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » PLACES WE STAY ! » United States » Michigan » Porcupine Mtns in the U.P. « Previous Next »

MCI Larry (Eurof3)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 12:11 pm:   

This was a drive thru the U.P. of Michigan.
The scenery was like no other.
We saw another coach out here in the boonies an older GM but nice.
This was another State park visit. There were shore line campsites on Lake Superior. The sound of the waves and the moon at night were the best !
The shore line inside the camp ground was rock with lots of chiseled in carvings from visitors. We took a hammer and chisel, pounded our KnL heart in rock. The camp ground was clean and friendly with easy parking, a boat launch and fire rings.

Just down the road was Lake of the clouds. I can`t say enough about this place. Well, worth the drive. They were putting in handicapped access ramps when we were there.
Lake Superior rarely gets warm enough to swim in, but we did some boogie boarding the day we had wind. A couple miles down the road from the park was a beach. The waves crashed that day and the next day it was dead still calm. They say the sunsets from here over lake Superior are the best in the world. We loved them, again photo city for me.

Just down the road from the state park is an ice cream shop, 3 or 4 miles. They feed the bears. If you want to see black bears close up stop there. We watched a black bear stand up and open the back door at the ice cream shop. I quickly warned the owner and he chased the bear off with a quad runner. We saw 2 other bears at the ice cream shop that day. They have a chain link fence up to keep the wild bears back from the tables. Or keep the brave picture takers from being eaten..Again awesome photos close up. I was within 3 feet of this back door bear at one time with my video camera running. Then realized the gate was not even latched on the fence. You can bet I reached down and latched it ASAP.
Shoulda seen the folks inside making an exit when I told them the bear was coming in the back door.
Porcupine Mountains State Park A Very Quiet no city lights type place. Loved it !
We will return. Reservations Recommended !
http://www.midnrreservations.com/index.cfm

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration