19/04/24 - 17:46 PM

Author Topic: Product Review - Magnum MSH4024M Hybrid Inverter/Charger  (Read 26282 times)

Offline Brandon

• Portland, OR
    • The Ghost Bus Build Blog
Product Review - Magnum MSH4024M Hybrid Inverter/Charger
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Hello all,

I recently noted on another thread that I had purchased one of the recently released Hybrid Magnum true-sine inverter-chargers.

I am working on a more formal review to throw up on my wordpress (with photos, etc.) but I wanted to make some notes here for folks.

My test setup:
  • 160A/hr 24V SLA pack (12 cells, series connected). Older pack, but good for testing.
  • MSH4024M Magnum Inverter Charger - Includes Batt Temp Sensor
  • ME-ARC50 Remote Control
  • 2/0 Cables (24" long) directly to pack
  • 300A Blue-Sea Class-T fuse (slow blow)
  • Input - 15A standard plug
  • Output - 10awg to duplex 20A capable outlet
  • Loads - Air Compressor (16A full load) / Mach1 Air Conditioner (x2) at 8A high w/ compressor on

I have performed some initial testing just to see how the load support function works and how the unit handles starting large inrush loads.

I set the AC input current limit at it's minimum (5A), connected the AC units up. I started one AC, placed fan on high, and let the compressor run. This was showing load support off the batteries with varying current depending upon compressor load from the AC. I then started the second AC unit (successfully), showing a much larger load support function taking place. My goal was to be able to kick one air-conditioner on while the other was running (the reason for the 4kW inverter with large overhead). This setup worked well and the inverter did a good job of not drawing more than 5A from the outlet.

My next setup was similar, however I disconnected the wall outlet all together. The unit powered, and started, both AC units with no issues. Large currents were drawn off the 24V pack (as you would expect). I haven't broken out the current sampling equipment and proper voltage readings to determine efficiency at this time. Upon completing this test, I left both AC units online and connected in the AC power in. It started the qualifying process (waiting for AC good) and I was curious to see how it handled getting the inverter output phase to match the AC mains phase (due to possible drift). What they do, which may be good or bad for your situation, is that they switch over to full AC (non inverting) the whole output load (regardless of AC input limit setting) briefly (2-3 seconds) before switching to load support mode and enabling the maximum AC in setting. I presume this is to allow the inverter to 'restart' and lock onto the mains input.

The only place I could see this getting you in trouble is if you had a SMALL generator, loads larger than it's possible output and noticed your power was getting low on your batteries. You then fire off your generator, the inverter qualifies the AC, then transfers the entire output load to the generator (presumably overloading it) and then dropping the generator. Obviously the loads could be removed, generator fired up, qualified, then bring the loads on to use the Load Support function. The small generator load issue is not a significant one for me because I have intelligent circuitry to drop the air-conditioners offline when making the transfer and honestly keeping the AC's on while firing off my manual generator is not a big deal. My main power source is high current DC charging off of a small engine.

The transfer between MAINS only and load support with MAINS is VERY smooth (compressors/AC/etc did not mind or notice the transfer).

I am fairly impressed with this unit. I have many reasons for selecting this unit which I will list below
  • 24V Battery Bank with Two full size Air Conditioners and Microwave/Coffee Machine
  • Small Deployable Generator (900W or 2000W) usually if off-grid
  • 24VDC Propane Powered on-board Generator
  • Large starting current loads that would overload a 15A outlet/cord
  • Loads that are sensitive to transfer time
  • Need advanced functions (limit AC in, time functions, etc.)
  • Need True-Sine

The internal fan only came on after some time running on inverter only (both AC units). It was soft start and very quiet (almost didn't notice it). The unit also generates a small amount of heat/noise when heavily charging the batteries from AC mains.

Overall I am VERY happy with this unit and expect it will suit my needs well. I run a lot of art/music/etc. event infrastructure out of my TDH-4512 so having a solid source of AC power regardless of what the AC mains available are doing is important to me. I have 500W of solar on the roof to augment my off-grid adventures and keep things topped up when parked in the driveway.

My eventual goal, when parked in the slot at home, is to be able to use the inverter to power my shop equipment/lighting (put my solar to use). That is a stretch goal right now.

I paid a little over $1700 for this unit (new) and bought the remote control off a random online website (with decent reviews). I may or may not obtain the battery monitoring accessory for this unit. I run a microcontroller (raspberry pi/arduino) for the environment controls (AC/heat/etc.) so tying this into the DC battery monitoring system will be fairly easy. I do have an older Xantrex Battery Monitor (XBM) with the shunt so I will likely use that for 'visual' data and battery capacity measurement.

Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer. I run the laboratory for a electrical engineering company specializing in LED lighting controls. I have a great deal of experience in DC power systems (automotive/marine).

I will report back with more information as I have it and a link to the full review when complete!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:39:52 PM by Brandon »
-Brandon
www.theghostbus.org
1955 TDH-4512 'The Ghost'

Offline Technomadia

• Technomadia
Re: Product Review - Magnum MSH4024M Hybrid Inverter/Charger
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
Great review - and it looks like an awesome piece of equipment.

One thing that particularly impresses me is that you can set the input current limit to as low as 5A.  The Victron data sheet claimed 8A, but I discovered they had changed the spec and the minimum was actually set to 15A.

Cheers!

- Chris
Cherie & Chris and Kiki (meow) /  Blog: http://www.technomadia.com
Full-time gen-X technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Bus: Zephyr - 1961 GM 4106   /  Toad: Pixel: 2009 MINI Cooper

Offline Brandon

• Portland, OR
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
Great review - and it looks like an awesome piece of equipment.

One thing that particularly impresses me is that you can set the input current limit to as low as 5A.  The Victron data sheet claimed 8A, but I discovered they had changed the spec and the minimum was actually set to 15A.

Cheers!

- Chris

Thanks for the notes Chris! 15A isn't low enough to support a 'small' generator or even a marginal long run of an extension cord. The 5A limit seems low enough for me!
-Brandon
www.theghostbus.org

Kenny

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »
Brandon, I to have been looking at the new magnum hybred inverters. Specifically the MSH3012. Reviews all look fairly good. Love the load support feature especially.  Where did find one for just over $1700?. Best price I've seen is $2300. Ken.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Brandon

• Portland, OR
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
Brandon, I to have been looking at the new magnum hybred inverters. Specifically the MSH3012. Reviews all look fairly good. Love the load support feature especially.  Where did find one for just over $1700?. Best price I've seen is $2300. Ken.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.thehousewaresstore.com/sw-magnmsh4024m.html

I suspect some fluke deal and I cannot imagine they will last long at that price point.

I was suspicious of the validity of the sale so was VERY careful paying. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 63 pound manufacturer box show up!

Do some heavy duty hunting for a price but as always, be careful...often the deal is too good to be true.
-Brandon
www.theghostbus.org

Offline belfert

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
Does this inverter have a dual pole transfer switch that can handle both legs of a 50 amp feed?  It would be nice not to have to pick and choose what runs through the inverter like I do now.

Offline Brandon

• Portland, OR
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Does this inverter have a dual pole transfer switch that can handle both legs of a 50 amp feed?  It would be nice not to have to pick and choose what runs through the inverter like I do now.

Specifications:
http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Data%20Sheets/Inverters/64-0497%20Rev%20B%20(MSH-M%20Series%20Data%20Sheet).pdf

Manual:
http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Inverters/64-0058%20Rev%20A%20(MSH-M%20Series)_Web.pdf

They circuit protecet the input at 60A and show (in the manual) two DPDT relays, one handling the HOT, one handling the NEUTRAL. They have two wires coming off these junction points (although appear to tie together and are only doubled for current carrying capacity). If you are looking to supply (and use) 50A 120V you should be good. If you are looking to supply 50A 240V, I suspect this will not suffice.

They also have the other MSH model for home applications that has two AC inputs.

Cheers,
-Brandon
www.theghostbus.org

Offline Geoff

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »
Sorry if I skipped a few threads here, but the TRACE SW series has been around for years and does the same thing.  I have a Trace SW2512MC ans it has worked flawlesly for the 10-12 years.

--Geof

Offline eagle19952

• Donald P H.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »
Sorry if I skipped a few threads here, but the TRACE SW series has been around for years and does the same thing.  I have a Trace SW2512MC ans it has worked flawlesly for the 10-12 years.

--Geof

but I seem to remember the SW2512MC is no longer made. Mine lasted 18 years. I am not as happy with my Xantrex 3500marine.
I will consider Magnum if a need arises.The Xantrex will not run my microwave....works well for all the other loads the SW handled.
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint :)
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.

Offline chrome dome

• Dave 3/20/10Posts-469+
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »
If we had a 12 volt inverter Freedom 20 that was shot when we got the coach, could we now switch to 24 volt or would we have to change appliances also? DC for refrig, water pump 12 volt, water heater start, stove lighter, etc.
That part confuses me.

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency "1979 MCI MC5CSaudi 6V-71,7067-7527 Spec230 644MT Allison
1998 Jeep TJ 4x4 Toed, Somewhere in the USA, Fulltiming
 Congressmen should wear uniforms, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Offline Technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »

The Trace inverters that boost are classics, and despite a few limitations (like tripping GFCI outlets) they have a well earned reputation - and used ones hold their value on ebay.

But...  They haven't been manufactured (or supported) in nearly a decade (longer?).  Certainly not since Xantrex bought Trace and discontinued the line.

It is great to see other inverters at last continuing the legacy.

- Chris
Cherie & Chris and Kiki (meow) /  Blog: http://www.technomadia.com
Full-time gen-X technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Bus: Zephyr - 1961 GM 4106   /  Toad: Pixel: 2009 MINI Cooper

Offline FAST FRED

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
.The Xantrex will not run my microwave....works well for all the other loads the SW handled.

A new microwave is only $100 or so.

Tag sale $15 or $20.......

Offline Brian Evans

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 06:18:34 AM »
I like the fact that it can run two air conditioners at once, that is a huge advantage.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, now with 8V-71T/MT-647
Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »
 The Magnum will be the same technology as Trace all those guys worked for Trace before, it should be a good inverter they spent a lot of time before releasing it for sale

I tried to buy one 4 years ago and the guy kept telling me next month and next month never came till now
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:59:52 AM by luvrbus »

Offline eagle19952

• Donald P H.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
.The Xantrex will not run my microwave....works well for all the other loads the SW handled.

A new microwave is only $100 or so.
Tag sale $15 or $20.......

Mine is a SHARP  Microwave/Convection oven, they don't come up often at tag sales.... :)
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint :)
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.