19/04/24 - 12:05 PM

Author Topic: Girard tankless water heater  (Read 2465 times)

CanadianTexan

Girard tankless water heater
« on: July 14, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
Good afternoon
I am pondering putting in a rv tankless water heater in my mci 7
does anyone or all of you ,know of the pro,s and con,s to this product
thank you
trevor

George Todd

Re: Girard tankless water heater
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
This has been discussed here many times, so please look in the archives.

A tankless water heater compared to the tank type is a very different animal.
Tankless water heaters require a much larger gas supply pipe and propane regulator, as they have to heat the water flowing through them instantly.  Consequently they require a much larger vent and combustion air supply, because they are burning so much more gas.

All tankless have a flow switch to turn them on and off, and many of them will not start with low water flow, as in an RV type faucet.

I have never heard of a Girard, and don't know its input rating, but it  does not have a standing pilot, so you will have to provide it with  12 Volt DC power to operate.

After having looked at their website,  and read their temperature rise, I wouldn't buy one.  An input of 36,000 BTU is less than many household tank-type water heaters, and their own statement of temperature rise gives it away.  They say 70 degrees max, (depending upon water flow,) so if it is cold outside, your water tanks is 40, and you are taking a shower, it isn't going to be a hundred!  When your better half turns on the kitchen sink at the same time, you will freeze!

I have installed at least fifty tankless heaters in houses, without a cold water complaint.  I use them as a way to heat the house and the water, but they are rated 199,000 BTU, not 36,000, which in my opinion isn't enough
G
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:13:24 PM by George Todd »

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
Girard is a tankless made for RV they vent like a regular rv hot water heater it even looks like one they seem to be ok you see a lot of those now in the newer RV's fwiw

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
Tankless sounds good on paper. Whether it be a tankless powered by electric, propane, or Diesel, they all need lots of BTU's to make the flowing water warm.

I use 2-10gal electric water heaters (no coolant loop) I bought from HD. One leads into the next with the final one powered through the inverter for hot water going down the road. Since I installed them in 1994, have done nothing besides drain them. I carry an extra heating element (around $20), but have never had to use it. Takes less then an hour of generator time in the morning to heat them. When boon docking, I heat them at night, then still have enough hot water in the morning for two showers so I don't have to run the gen early in the morning. Good Luck, TomC