28/03/24 - 12:02 PM

Author Topic: Bus 3.0 Neoplan Spaceliner Coach- Looking for some resources  (Read 8669 times)

hotpuppy

Bus 3.0 Neoplan Spaceliner Coach- Looking for some resources
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
Howdy,
  I purchased my 3rd bus yesterday at an auction.  It's been a while since I had a coach/bus and technology has come a long ways, which is a good thing.

The coach is a Neoplan Spaceliner based unit that was converted when new and seems to have all the basics well covered.  Cosmetically it needs a gust of fresh air (carpet, furniture, etc). 

My last coach was a GMC New Look fishbowl from circa 1969 that had given up 7 of it's 9 cat lives.  It was a fun adventure, but I wound up parting with the shell before I got into the conversion.  Life circumstances.

My first bus was a 70's era Skoolie that I turned into a tailgate/party bus when I was in college.  It was alot of fun, but basically a giant tent on wheels with an upstairs deck.  :)  That bus had given up 10 of it's 9 cat lives, but it served me well and my crazy landlord bought it as a Y2K fortress.  lol.

So here is what I'm looking for help with and suggestions:
- This is a tall rig, what do you use to avoid clearance issues etc?  I checked out Rand McNally's RVGPS app for the iPad but it has some bad reviews and they don't seem to take it seriously... it's $99.  I downloaded Trucker Path Pro... it's free and does GPS nav and truck related things like fuel, rest areas, truck stops, wifi rest areas, clearance issues etc.  I'm anticipating that this rig is 13.5 tall.  I really won't know until I have physical posession of it in the next couple of weeks.
- Are there any other NeoPlan coach owners that might have any sort of manuals etc they could share?  There are a bunch of things on the dash that I don't know what they do.  I don't recognize the symbols on the buttons.  etc.  I've googled and can't find anything.  I bought this via an auction, so the seller isn't there to hand hold me on how to TLC this coach.  (Not that the last two did either...lol) 
- What do you use to find campgrounds etc and figure out if they are 40' friendly, allow coaches etc etc etc?

What I am not looking for (please refrain from posting these types of comments):
- Ridicule, criticism, negative Nancy, Debbie downer, the OMG I could never do that song, etc etc.  I'm comfortable with the research I did on this unit and I'm confident that I can safely get it home.
- I understand that Neoplan USA went poof a few years ago.. but I also understand that they used off the shelf chassis and drive gear.  I'm not worried about being able to get a replacement engraved lens cover.  I'll figure it out.  I promise that a 1984 unit will not be worse than a 1969 GMC, 1970's Airstream or any of the other butterflies I've had the privilege of owning.

What is the coach and what I know it needs:
- It is a 1984 Pegasus Motorhome that used a Neoplan Spaceliner Coach chassis.  It is equipped with an Automagic transmission and 8v92 engine, has a genset, and nice floor layout.  It looks to be an all electric coach with 3 roof units and all the fun interior toys.  It appears to have a 3x3 tile shower with a skylight and someone had the good sense to put a white shower faucet in saving me the joy of removing one fake brass faucet.
- At some point in it's recent history someone tried to liberate the battery cables from it along with all of the precious 1980's electronics inside.  It was since made operational again and runs and drives well, but the house electrical needs to be evaluated.
- It is missing some premium 1984 blue carpet, has a ripped couch cushion, a couple of observation seats, some more premium white carpet, and a 1984 BackKiller mattress and accompanying bedframe.
- It's got some love marks on the curb side near the rear and the rear engine cover looks like something tried to escape from it.  lol.  It's back a bit in pictures... no telling what is going on there but nothing that enchanted bailing wire won't hold still.

Yes, I'm a bit sarcastic....I would have ripped out the mattress and carpet anyway.  So where most people see a challenge I see an opportunity and a very lightly used coach that I can re-convert.  With the stupidity at Insurance.com (pick the carrier) having it "from the factory" as a motorhome sidesteps all the BS about discriminating against busses.

It was poorly merchandised at auction, but some digging on Google found a YouTube video of it running with commentary about what is going on with it, and a current for-sale listing had some more information on it.  I guess someone got sick of it and sent it to auction.  I got an extremely good deal on it and I'll deal with whatever comes up.

The only thing I am truly terrified of breaking is the upper front windshield.  Other than that, I'll deal with everything else should I need to. 

Offline luvrbus

Re: Bus 3.0 Neoplan Spaceliner Coach- Looking for some resources
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
I don't think you will find the drive train is off the self all the ones I have worked on were German.
Sean Welsh has one his was Pegasus conversion also till they redone it they have traveled all over the US in theirs with no problem.BTW his "Odyssey" is for sale it just been sitting the last few years as they have a trawler boat now.Some guy in FL has 1 with series 60 engine he had installed   

hotpuppy

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »
I don't think you will find the drive train is off the self all the ones I have worked on were German.
Sean Welsh has one his was Pegasus conversion also till they redone it they have traveled all over the US in theirs with no problem.BTW his "Odyssey" is for sale it just been sitting the last few years as they have a trawler boat now.Some guy in FL has 1 with series 60 engine he had installed   

Great info, thank you.  I can't find anything on Pegasus at all.  Does anyone know anything about them? 

It would be a good thing if the parts were German... that would mean that replacements can be had in Europe... which beats unobtanium hands down.  The engine and transmission are DD 8v92 and Allison. 

Here are some pictures of the coach:

Here is the video I was able to find of the bus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLFhMtdVjrE

This video was the clincher for me to bid on it.  In particular seeing it move, and run smoothly and maneuver was key.  The other key was that they showed the odometer which was only a few hundred miles ago and they explained why it was on the auction block and were honest about it's condition.

The interior has lost some of it's premium carpeting since the video was taken.  I'm still not sure what the area over the drivers seat is supposed to be.  I've deduced that the bolts are for seat mounts and it's some sort of observation deck / enclosed porch etc. 

Offline Brian Evans

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »
I recall that Sean used to post regularly about issues getting parts, I recall one saga about a windshield motor that seemed a bit extreme.  His 8V92 was a retrofit, with a lot of details here from his blog page archive.  http://www.ourodyssey.us/bus-conversion.html

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, now with 8V-71T/MT-647
Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:02:53 PM »
All I know about Pegasus is was outside San Antonio Tx,and rumors were it was a Bob Lee of Country Coach business since he was in the group that had the license for NeoPlan USA true or not I couldn't tell you Sean would probably know       

hotpuppy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »
I recall that Sean used to post regularly about issues getting parts, I recall one saga about a windshield motor that seemed a bit extreme.  His 8V92 was a retrofit, with a lot of details here from his blog page archive.  http://www.ourodyssey.us/bus-conversion.html

Brian

oh my.... this is very very interesting.  I'll have to send him an email and I sure hope I don't have any of his experiences.

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
The coach that is out of Florida belongs to Steve Siems.  His phone number is 945-275-3224.  I feel sure that Steve wouldn't mind if you called to talk Bus.
Jack

hotpuppy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
I'm beginning to feel like I may have purchased a 3 legged alien fighting cat...... sigh.  Oh well, at least it's unique enough that there aren't very many out there.

I've exchanged a couple of emails with Sean.  His blog is golden and he has had some good insight.  I really do not want to go through what he went through aka a re-conversion and re-construction.  That can't have been cheap. 

I'm doing lots of research right now so I at least land on it with my eyes open.  I'm in limbo a bit in that I *think* I won the auction, but the auctionhouse has not sent me anything and I don't see it in my account with them.  It was a Ritchie Brothers auction.  This is my first rodeo with them so I don't know if I should be seeing something in my account or not. 

I really do like the layout and floor plan, but I'm worried about clearance issues and weight loading.  Sean thinks that Pegasus ignored axle loading when they converted them.  I can see how a DDC Green Dribbler and Allison Thermocoupler might weigh more than a MAN Euro beastlet engine.  I just can't figure out where the weight is.  Sean thinks that the 2 axle units were special ordered to the US from Germany.  A 2 axle unit should have a GVWR of 36,000 +/- a few buckets of 40Wt.

Any ideas on what a 40 foot chassis with engine should weigh?  I've got a few house items and the utilities on board, but I can't imagine kitchen cabinets a couple of sofas and a shower being that heavy. 

Offline Brian Evans

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
It's not the cabinets and sofas that get heavy, it's the marble floors and granite counters.  I'd wait and weight what I got, then start to make plans.  Nothing wrong with a nice 8V92 and allison combo, it can be extremely reliable - if the ancillaries are in good shape.   I recall Sean went through tires on his, not sure why, but he sure wore them out.  The bays are huge also - and everybody knows a big luggage bay just screams to be filled with extremely heavy junk...

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, now with 8V-71T/MT-647
Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

hotpuppy

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
Well, it's mine.  Paid the nice auctioneer this morning.  Insured through Progressive for $127/yr.  Geico wouldn't touch it, National / Good Sam had to think about it. 

Invested in CoachNet (lol).....

Booked travel for tomorrow. 

Called the website that had listed for sale and he didn't know much but was happy to mark it sold when I told him I bought it.

So tomorrow I'll find out what condition it's in.  I've combed through Sean's blog and the Yahoo group and come up with the following:

It is an AN117/2 Neoplan Spaceliner chassis, should have a GVWR of 36,000.  I expect it to weigh in around 30,000, but we'll see.  I'll roll across a scale when I buy fuel somewhere. The bus is a little bit shorter than Sean's.  It spec's out at 12.5 feet but I figure 13.5 to allow for the roof units. 

Only puzzling thing is I have pored over pictures of the drivers area and I can't figure out where the shifter / transmission control is.  The bus has a whole bunch of weird symbols on the buttons and I have no idea what the heck some of them are. 

Not sure if I'm going to be able to put in my driveway or not..... we'll see when I get it back to Texas.  It will physically fit, I just don't know if it will clear my driveway.  Ground clearance seems to be an issue on these coaches.  I'm lucky enough to have an RV parking pad and a cleanout.  No power or water yet, but that's easy to install.

hotpuppy

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »
All I know about Pegasus is was outside San Antonio Tx,and rumors were it was a Bob Lee of Country Coach business since he was in the group that had the license for NeoPlan USA true or not I couldn't tell you Sean would probably know       

That is interesting.  I don't suppose you ever saw an Advertisement for one in a magazine?  I've dug in Texas but without knowing the business name it's tough to find.

Offline Grumpy4215

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 02:06:44 PM »
on right side you a row of what looks like lights and what looks like a couple of push buttons
looks a set up that was on a bus i owned it was after market to that bus it  look a lot like
same shift set up
grumpy(marshall)
916/919/1414

Offline glens

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
Just found this from 2013, On Gov. Liquidation site. Sounds like the same bus as it listed the electric wiring issues. Sold for $48,655 and some change back in 2013.  :o Good luck.

1984 Neoplan Pegasus 40 Foot Motor Home

Quantity in Lot:
1 (View Details)
Auction Type:
Internet Auction
Open Time:
07/09/2013 12:00AM Eastern Time
Close Time:
07/11/2013 05:13PM Eastern Time
Time Left:
This lot is closed.
Item Location:
Rancho Cordova, CA US
Opening Bid:
$25.00
Current Bid:
$48,655.99
- See more at: http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6374533#sthash.DZTcjIiS.dpuf

hotpuppy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 12:19:57 AM »
on right side you a row of what looks like lights and what looks like a couple of push buttons
looks a set up that was on a bus i owned it was after market to that bus it  look a lot like
same shift set up
grumpy(marshall)
916/919/1414

Yes... that is the wierdest shift setup.. .but it appears to be how it is setup.  I got to the bus today and spent a few hours opening things and inspecting and taking inventory of what needs to be done.

hotpuppy

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »
So here is today's update.

1: This coach is based on an N116/2 Cityliner.  Sean's coach is a little bigger and based on an N117/3 Spaceliner.  My coach is 2 axles and about a foot shorter, but otherwise similar.

2:  The pictures on the auction did not do it justice.  Yes it is missing a bed, some carpet, and a pair of captain's chairs.... and it needs a little updating.  Someone took everything electronic out except one 12" TV and the remotes.  Shrug.  Save me the trouble honestly.

3: Tires are old, but sound.  They are late 2005 tires, but I think they are okay for the trip home.

4: There are a bunch of little fixya's for the doors.  The doors are levered by gas shocks and they use little plastic bearings that snap on to the balls... after 20 years they are shot.

5: drum roll... there is a 1986 Texas inspection sticker on the windshield.  I'm going to use that to find out who Pegasus was..... I should be able to take that number and find out exactly who registered this bus in 1986 and put it on the road.  I may have to bug TX DPS, but they should have the records.  The fact that it was titled in Texas should make my life easier.  Texas requires an inspection and a bunch of other stuff on vehicles that have never been there before.

6: Yanmar 3 or 4 cylinder genset with a 100A breaker.  That means it is probably a 20KW genset.  lol. 

7: No idea what the water size is... but bay 2 street side is genset, bay 3 is wet bay.  bay 2 curb side more storage.  Bay 1 is storage and the bottom has an opening for the radiator for the genset.  I'm not real thrilled about how that genset is in there, but hey, it's in there and looks like it will come to life.  Wet bay is very nicely done and bus is setup to dump on both sides.  Toilet plumbing is not perfect, but it works. 

8: Batteries are dead.. but dated May 2015.  I bought new ones from Sam's club... $197/ea plus $18 core charge.  I don't have time to see if I can revive the current batteries.  I'll take them with me and maybe use them as a house bank.....

9: Overall the interior needs refurbishing.. but carpet, chairs, a bed, reupholstering the sofa are all easy easy things to do IMHO.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.  I'm really happy with it so far.  I will say that they did some weird crap when they retrofitted these with 8v92's...... the exhaust setup and intake setups are just banannas... but they look good.  I took the time to check for all the issues that Sean has experienced and happily this engine area appears to be setup differently from his.  I think you could actually slide the engine out without any issues on mine.  The control box is in the way, but that's easy. 

All my fluids checkout except power steering.  I'm down a couple of inches there.  It's still on the dipstick, but just barely.  I'm going to pickup some ATF and top it off in the morning.    Oil and Transmission fluids look good and smell fine.  Oil actually looks new.  It's not black like a DD usually is. 

My biggest concern is that the fuel smells stale.  It runs currently, but I'm going to put some more fuel in and a friend recommended "diesel fresh"?  I've never heard of that, but I have used Diesel Kleen before as a cetane booster and general "love my engine" treat.