19/09/24 - 15:02 PM

Author Topic: Arnie's Articles - Part 1... Inspecting a Used Bus.  (Read 853 times)

Offline |@n

• Admin
  • Own a bus? Well, I tried to!
    • BNO - Bus Nut Online
Arnie's Articles - Part 1... Inspecting a Used Bus.
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
All of us at one time or another have seen, or been passed by a bus that has been converted into a motor home. Our minds take over and we start to think of having a coach and putting our dream into first gear. Then a dose of reality takes over and we say to ourselves, "where would I start?"

In all likelyhood the most important aspect is the vehicle itself. Where would I find a bus (coach)? What types and lengths are there? How much would it cost? What kind would I purchase? Where would I find one? Who will I get to do the conversion? Could I do it myself? These are but a few questions that come to mind immediately.

For most people, the ability to go to Motor Coach Industries, Prevost Car, Eagle Bus or any other supplier, and lay out $350,000. for a new one is out of the question. The next alternative would be to find a good second hand unit. As the age of the unit increases the price decreases and, as a result, a unit can be found that fits your budget. To locate a coach is not difficult, but to locate a good one requires some searching and mechanical knowledge. If you are not sure of your abilities, find a person who understands the body structure. Pay him a few dollars and go looking.

A few things to look for. How straight are the rivet lines when you look down the side of the coach from end to end? Are there waves, or dips and rises along the way? If so, there is apt to be rust and corrosion damage on the skelton frame. Is there rust and corrosion in the motor compartment, near the blower cooling fans (MCI) along the wheel wells? How does the metal look where the air bags attach? Look in the spare tire compartment and check the frame work there. Is it rusted? Examine the frame work on the inside of the baggage doors for rust and corrosion. How tight are the side windows? Open the emergency windows and check for corrosion. Then check the general condition of the drivers area; floors, washroom area, the ceiling. If things appear to have been neglected in any of these locations, there is a good chance the rest of the unit is in the same condition.

Ask for maintence records on the drive train and, again, if you aren't sure of what you are looking for, engage the services of a qualified mechanic.

The foregoing comments are but a few of the things to examine. You would be well advised to check out many units and get a feel for the inspection process. Remember, this bus is the "container" that you have mandated to transport the rest of your expenditure on your dream. Set youself a time frame and be prepared to extend it. Many of us have built our own or contracted areas out to professionals (eg. cabinetry, plumbing, electrical) as finances became available. My whole purpose in putting together this article is to give you, the reader and future bus owner, some idea of what to look for in a coach and to give you an insight as to what to expect when it comes time for planning and engineering your project.
I was just thinking... I do a lot of thinking, I think!